Going to Indy Dance X felt like “coming home.”
I danced more this weekend than the past 2 years combined and it was as though a dormant part of myself came back to life.
I had a feeling that this event would re-awaken my dance journey or shift the stagnant relationship I’ve had with it. For the first time in a while I feel eager to work on dance, community, and creative endeavors. Even as the future remains painfully uncertain to me.
I went into the event with 3 core intentions:
- support the event where I can,
- connect with people, and
- social dance.
Workshops and competitions were a bonus.
Big thank you to Melissa, LuAnn, and Glen for putting on this event; to all the staff and volunteers for helping make the event possible (few people know how much really goes on behind the scenes); and to all those that came out to dance and support the event this year.
Highlights from the weekend:
- Supporting the event behind the scenes as volunteer/staff and feeling a sense of fulfillment and direction for the weekend — a welcome escape from the negative emotions I normally experience.
- Connecting with Esther during volunteer work and doing Strictly Swing together. We had some really fun dances and I often felt less in my head and more willing to have fun/be playful this weekend. I normally struggle to make friends and I’m grateful that we had a commonality (volunteering) to facilitate conversation & connection.
- Getting to reconnect and dance with the Fort Wayne Westies that came down.
- Competitions: Placing 3rd in Strictly Swing with Esther. Finaled in Jack & Jills and drew Autumn as my partner (we drew each-other in finals last time, too!).
- Epic steal dances.
- Practicing with my camera and talking with David Fennig about photography and videography. I always feel inspired being around other people doing things I’m interested in. There’s something about physically being around those in the midst of their art — as opposed to reading about them or seeing their content online.
- Practicing poi spinning in the alley despite the initial awkwardness I felt knowing others were around. Grateful that JP got video of it!
Videos & event take-aways coming in upcoming posts.